Part of the St. Joseph comprehensive cancer program, our Radiation Oncology Center delivers advanced cancer care. Our providers specialize in radiation treatment for cancer and oncology care and cutting-edge technology. We are your team in the fight against cancer.
The radiation oncology treatment team includes a physician, medical physicist, a dosimetrist, radiation therapists (all board-certified in radiation oncology) and an oncology nurse. There are generally three treatment methods for cancer: surgery, chemotherapy, and external radiation therapy; all are available at St. Joe's. Often a combination of these treatments is used to fight cancer and its effects.
St. Joe's offers external radiation therapy. External therapy uses a linear accelerator to direct high-energy rays to cancer and the surrounding diseased tissue.
Our Radiation Oncology Services:
- Two linear accelerators to provide radiation treatment
- Computed tomography (CT) systems with 3D and 4D treatment planning
- External beam radiation, including photos for deep-seated tumors and electrons for superficial treatment
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy ( delivers higher radiation doses directly to cancer cells while sparing more of the surrounding healthy tissues
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) portal imaging to provide instant digital images for treatment verifications
- Positron emission tomography (PET) is used in combination with CT to evaluate and stage cancer
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) provides highly precise treatment of tumors in the lung, liver and other sites