Part of the St. Joseph comprehensive Cancer program, our Radiation Oncology Center delivers advanced cancer care, here at home. Our providers specialize in radiation treatment for cancer and oncology care and cutting-edge technology. We are your team in the fight against cancer.
The radiation oncology treatment team includes a physician, medical physicist, a dosimetrist, radiation therapists (all board-certified in radiation oncology) and an oncology nurse. There are generally three treatment methods for cancer: surgery, chemotherapy, and external or internal radiation therapy; all available at St. Joe's. Often a combination of these treatments is used to fight cancer and its effects.
St. Joe's offers both external and internal radiation therapies. External therapy uses a linear accelerator to direct high-energy rays to cancer and the surrounding diseased tissue. Internal radiation implants use radioactive materials with a very short half-life to deliver radiation to the cancer/tumor. Implants may be "needles" placed next to the tumor or "seeds" injected directly into the tumor.
Our Radiation Oncology Services:
- Two linear accelerators to provide radiation treatment
- Computed tomography (CT) systems with 3D and 4D treatment planning
- External beam radiation, including photos for deep-seated tumors and electrons for superficial treatment
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy ( delivers higher radiation doses directly to cancer cells while sparing more of the surrounding healthy tissues
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) portal imaging to provide instant digital images for treatment verifications
- Positron emission tomography (PET) is used in combination with CT to evaluate and stage cancer
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) provides highly precise treatment of tumors in the lung, liver, and other sites