Who Will Speak for You? Get Advance Care Planning
Can you answer these questions?
Do you know what health care treatments you would and would not want if you could not speak for yourself?
Do other people know what your wishes are?
Included in an Advance Directive
- A health care power of attorney (or "proxy" or "agent" or "surrogate") documents the person you select to be your voice for your health care decisions if you cannot speak for yourself
- A living will documents what kinds of medical treatments you would or would not want at the end of life
- Durable power of attorney for health care
- P.O.S.T. (physician orders for scope of treatment)
- Life-sustaining treatments
Learn more about End-of-Life decisions
All adults can benefit from thinking about what their health care choices would be if they are unable to speak for themselves. These decisions can be written down in an advance directive so that others know what they are.
For more information and forms visit these websites: